Is becoming a chef a good career choice?
That’s a question many people are asking themselves.
The answer, of course, depends on your circumstances. But if you’re prepared to work hard and put in the time and effort, then becoming a chef can be a very rewarding career.
In this blog, you will get to know all the information you need to make a career as a chef. First, however, we begin with the introduction of the chef.
Who is a Chef?
A chef is a professional cook who is responsible for the overall operation of a kitchen. They typically work in restaurants, hotels, or other food service establishments. A chef’s duties can vary depending on the size and type of their employer. Still, they typically include supervising cooks and other kitchen staff, planning menus, ordering supplies, and maintaining kitchen equipment. Chefs also often create new dishes and oversee food preparation.
You must take into consideration some important things to make a career as a chef. First, it’s important to understand that the culinary industry is extremely competitive. There are thousands of chefs out there, all vying for the same jobs. So if you’re thinking of becoming a chef, you need to be prepared to put in a lot of hard work.
Also, being a chef can be a very demanding job. It can be physically and emotionally draining, especially if you work in a busy kitchen. Moreover, the pay can be relatively low, especially in the early stages of your career. But with experience and advancement, salaries can increase significantly.
There are some other skills that are a must to have for you to make a career as a chef.
Skills required to make a career as a chef :-
It is definitely a good choice to make a career as a chef, but foremost you need to check whether you have the following skills or not –
- You should be able to adapt to the different cultural environments and food habits of others.
- You should be creative enough to try new dishes every day.
- You should update your knowledge regularly.
- You should possess the ability to work in a team.
- You must have love and passion for cooking in you.
- You should be calm and polite.
- You should remain aware of the new cooking technologies and techniques coming into the market.
Educational qualification needed to make a career as a chef: –
Many people learn to cook by doing or seeing others. This process takes so much time. But, there is another best and most formal way to learn cooking and establish your career in star hotels. We have mentioned some formal tips below which can help you to make a career as a chef-
- You can join any certified or diploma cooking course after the 10th or 12th.
- Must choose a good and reputed institution that provides valid certification.
- These institutions provide practical as well as theoretical information.
- These cooking courses are classified under the culinary arts discipline.
- These are vocational-type courses and contain mandatory internships.
- At the time of the internship, you can work as a commis chef under the head chef of the restaurant or hotel.
- During your practice period, you will get to learn all the required information.
- There are many institutions that provide job assistance, too, after the completion of your internship.
Scope to make a career as a chef: –
A chef is not just responsible for the operation of a kitchen but also for the preparation, presentation, and service of food. Chefs often have to work long hours and may be required to work in shifts. Chefs usually have a good knowledge of food, cooking mthods, and the food industry. As per their responsibilities, chefs play different roles in hotels and restaurants. The list has described as follows.
- Commis Chef: A chef who assists and prepares the food under the guidance of the other senior chefs is called a Commis chef. With experience and time, more responsibilities are assigned to the Commis chef. During the journey of learning, a Commis chef gets a chance to improve their cooking skills which helps to make him an industry expert.
- Chef de Partie: A chef who manages a kitchen segment is called Chef de Partie. S/he is also called a station chef or line cook. In addition, some chefs in the production area, like pastry, butchery, sauces, vegetables, etc., work under Chef de Partie.
- Pastry Chef: Desserts like pies, cakes, and pastries are created, decorated, and presented by Pastry Chef. With the help of topping and icing, they make the dessert look wonderful and tempting to attract and engage customers.
- Bakers Chef: Who handles the crafting and creation of baked food is called Bakers Chef. They are baking food experts who know how to use the right ingredients in the right amount and the suitable time needed to bake. Baker’s chef prepares appealing and thrilling dishes while ensuring the nutritional standard of the baked food.
- Saucier or Saute Chef: These are the specialists who look after the whole process of sauces from attainment to delivery. They also make soups and gravy as per the requirement of the dish.
- Sous-Chef: They work directly under the head chef. They execute the planning as per the instructions given to them.
- Head Chef or Chef de Cuisine: A master chef who handles the kitchen is called Head Chef or Chef de Cuisine. Along with cooking, the head chef also plans the menu, selects the ingredients, and looks after the cooking material. In addition, they manage all food-related issues and supervise the Commis Chef.
From the information mentioned above, it must be clear to you that making a career as a chef can be very rewarding if you are prepared to work hard and put in the time and effort. So now, if you are thinking of becoming a chef, then you must start by joining a cooking course from any reputed institution.
One of India’s best and most well-established hotel management and culinary institutes that we can suggest is NFCI – National Finishing and Cookery Institute. NFCI is 32+ years old and PAN India Approved certified Institution where cooking and culinary courses are provided. Here all these courses are nationally and internationally certified. The placement ratio of NFCI is very high because of the tie-ups with reputed brands and the goodwill this Institution has maintained everywhere.