A comprehensive guide on how to become a chef in India, highlighting the career prospects, education requirements, and skills needed to succeed in the culinary industry. The article will provide valuable insights and tips for aspiring chefs, addressing their pain points and queries related to pursuing a career in this field.
Getting a job as a professional chef is a dream for many. Yet, the job is more challenging than it seems. To get the chef title, you must achieve a strict culinary training program and gain hands-on experience.
Enroll: Become a Chef
Chefs must carry out food preparation, cooking, and management techniques. To help candidates become professional chefs, National Finishing and Cookery Institute (NFCI) provides specific programs and certification courses. Candidates can consider enrolling in their programs and gearing up for this job.
Who Is A Chef? Definition & Responsibilities:-
Before we explain how to become a chef in India, you must gain more understanding of this profession. Chef is one of the most sought-after courses for those passionate about cooking.
The job is gaining immense popularity and offers lucrative opportunities to candidates. They are the head who looks after all the requirements related to the food section.
From carrying out complicated flavour dynamics to creating the best menus, the chef has to look after all of this. Moreover, they supervise other cooks and interact with customers to receive feedback. In addition to this, they create new recipes, train kitchen staff, and plan menus.
They are responsible for ensuring that the food served on the table is of the best quality. Also, they have to ensure that proper hygiene is maintained in the kitchen. As a chef, you must look after all these aspects and ensure nothing falls off the crack.
Common Skills Required to be a Chef :-
Being a chef doesn’t mean you must be good at cooking. But this job asks much more than that. The candidate needs to have an excellent set of skills that helps them cater to the needs of their job.
Having these skills as a chef will make you stand out from the crowd and perform your job efficiently. And you are likely to gain more opportunities and have a successful cooking career.
NFCI has qualified instructors that help candidates become brilliant chefs. When you opt for the courses and associate programs, you are also trained for the essential skills.
Some of the top aptitudes demanded for the candidate to excel in the job are listed below for your concern.
- Managerial Skills
- Time Management
- Creativity and an eye for detail
- Restaurant and Kitchen Management
- Strong Communication
Top Courses to Become a Chef In India:-
If you are passionate about cooking and regard food preparation as an art form, this job is for you. Moreover, to be eligible for this job, you need to have certain degrees and accomplish a few programs in your studies.
Most candidates have the question of what to study to become a chef in India. So here is the answer to your query; these are the top programs you should accomplish.
How to Become a Chef in India: Culinary Arts Programs:-
- Bachelor in Hospitality Management – Culinary Specialization
- BVoc in Bakery and Cookery
- BSc in Culinary Science
- BHM with Culinary Arts
- BA in Culinary Arts
- Bachelor of Catering Technology and Culinary Arts
- BVoc in Culinary Operations
- BA in International Culinary Arts
Leading Diploma Programs to Become a Chef In India:-
- Post Graduate Diploma in Dietetics and Hospital Food Service
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bakery and Confectionery
- Diploma in Food And Beverage Service (UG course)
- Diploma in Culinary Arts of Italian Cuisine
- Post Graduate Diploma in Culinary Arts
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bakery Science and Technology
- Diploma in Food Production and Patisserie
- Diploma in Hotel Management (Food and Beverage Service)
Apart from this, NFCI offers various courses, such as NFCI, NIOS, NSDC, etc., for candidates willing to take up chef as a career in India. With the help of these programs, you will be eligible for attractive career options in the food business. Enroll in the program to make your way to this job with ease.
6 Types of Chefs in India: Job Title & Description:-
Chefs are responsible for managing whatever is going on in the rear of the house. Being culinary intellectuals, they are responsible for the restaurant’s menu. They have to ensure the customers get the food they choose.
NFCI trains the candidates to become outstanding chefs and provide the best services to people. This hotel management institute is best to make your career dreams come true. During the training, candidates are taught to organize and manage different tasks.
While comprehending how to become a chef in India, one should know about the various types of chefs in India:
Executive chefs are responsible for managing the kitchen single-handedly and have command of the kitchen. Also known as head chefs, they help the owner design the restaurant’s menu. Apart from that, they get to decide the equipment that will be used in the kitchen. Also, they have to look after the management of kitchen expenses. The income of a head chef varies between rupees 2 lac to 20 lac.
In general, the sous chefs have to work under the supervision of the head chef. In addition, they are in charge of different kitchen branches and coach the cooks. Sometimes, they also work in the place of head chefs, and they can be more than one. As a sous chef, you can receive a salary of rupees 1.76 lac to 10 lac.
Pastry chefs look after baking various kinds of bread, desserts, and pastries. They have to decide the dessert and menu and their price. The income of a chef varies between INR 7k per month to 26k per month.
The sauce adds balance to any dish; sauce chefs ensure that the sauce gives the perfect flavours to the dish. It includes gravy, stews, salad dressing, pasta sauce, and soups. A sauce chef can earn up to an average of 4 lac.
The roast chef is responsible for preparing meats and vegetables in the oven. They give marination orders to the cooks, and they must have ample knowledge about wholesome meat and seafood to get the best products and prices. One can get a salary between 2.4 lac and 30 lac rupees as a roast chef.
The pantry chefs are responsible for monitoring the inventory and refrigerator supplies. Also known as the garden manager, they look after cold dishes and appetizers. The pantry chef gets a pay scale of 2.19 lac rupees.
What’s the Salary of a Chef in India:-
Despite the information gained about how to become a chef in India you must learn how much they make to keep yourself motivated for this profession as a career.
The income you receive as a chef depends on your experience, skills, and place of work. In addition, your post decides how much you are going to earn. When talking of entry-level chefs, they can earn about ₹225,000 per year.
Yet, experienced chefs are likely to receive around ₹1,600,000 or more per year. Executive chefs/head chefs can make up to ₹20 lakhs.
Chef Salary in India by Experience:-
Experience is an essential aspect of the food business. Your salary will boost as you gain more experience. Here is what you can expect with your experience as a chef.
- 1 Year- With a year of experience as a chef, you will receive pay in India that varies between ₹ 1 Lakhs to ₹ 4.4 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 1.5 Lakhs.
- 2 Years- With two years of experience as a chef, you will receive pay in India that varies between ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 5.0 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 1.8 Lakhs.
- 3 Years- With three years of experience as a chef, you will receive a payment in India that varies between ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 4.6 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 2.0 Lakhs
- 4 Years- With four years of experience as a chef, you will receive pay in India that varies between ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 6.0 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 2.0 Lakhs.
- 5 Years- With five years of experience as a chef, you will receive pay in India that varies between ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 7.9 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 2.3 Lakhs.
- 6 Years- With six years of experience as a chef, you will receive pay in India that varies between ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 8.0 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 2.2 Lakhs.
- 7 Years- With seven years of experience as a chef, you will receive pay in India that varies between ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 7.5 Lakhs with an average annual income of ₹ 3.1 Lakhs.
According to Glassdoor based on 6675 salaries in 2023, the average base pay of a chef in India is ₹48L /yr. As we have already mentioned the average additional cash companion is range from ₹5,00,000 – ₹12,00,000.
This blog will help you decide on your chef career path. Make sure you decide on the job roles according to your interest, and get in touch with the team of NFCI to gain knowledge and skills to excel in your career in the food business.